The World Around
We live in a postmodern world that is characterized by the word “whatever.” Unfortunately, this same attitude has crept into the doctrinal position of many churches today. The apostle Jude in verse 3 of his letter wrote that believers should “earnestly contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.” He gave as the reason (v. 4) that false teachers and ungodly men had begun to infiltrate the church with their false teaching.
For this reason, among others, doctrinal truth and accuracy are very important foundation blocks for every ministry of Truth Baptist Church. Because of our determination to be faithful to the accurate teaching and preaching of Bible truth, the church was named with this desire in mind — Truth.
- We believe in the verbal inspiration and authority of the Scriptures. We believe that the Bible reveals God, the fall of man, the way of salvation, and God’s plan and purpose in the ages.
- We believe in God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity, virgin birth, substitutionary death, and bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- We believe that salvation is “by grace,” plus nothing and minus nothing. The conditions of salvation are repentance and faith.
- We believe that men are justified by faith alone and are accounted righteous before God only through the merit of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Justification establishes an eternal relationship that can never be broken.
- We believe in the visible, personal, and premillennial return of Jesus Christ.
- We believe in the everlasting conscious blessedness of the saved and the everlasting conscious punishment of the lost.
Meaning of “Baptist”
Some might ask, “Why do you call yourself Baptists?” We are the first to admit that being Baptist does not save anyone; neither is it true that only Baptists will go to heaven. Any person who trusts Christ as Savior will be saved regardless of church affiliation.
However, historical Baptists have held various distinctives that we also hold–thus, we are Baptist by conviction. Among these distinctives are the following:
- We believe that the Bible is and should be the only rule of faith and practice for the church. Neither tradition, opinion, ritual, speaking in tongues, direct revelation, nor human reasonings should be placed on a par equivalent to the Bible as the final authority for man upon earth.
- We believe that only saved people should be members of the church.
- We believe that each person will stand before God individually and give an account for their own belief and actions. Because of this, we do not believe that any church, government, or power has the right before God to compel a person to believe something against their conscience.
- We believe in separation of church and state, i.e., the state has no right before God to compel people to follow a designated state religion. We do believe it is the reponsibility of churches and believers to influence the nation by their lives, voting, and witnessing, but not by taking control of the government in the name of the Church.
- We believe that there are two ordinances commanded in the New Testament for churches to follow: baptism by immersion after salvation and regular observance of the Lord’s supper to remember His death until He comes again.
Having stated these positions, we believe that balance and love should permeate all that we do. Jesus held the truth with love and that is our desire also.
We would be very happy to provide you with a complete statement of our faith and practice if you contact us. We would also be glad to discuss our ministry either over the phone, in person, or via email. Often it is hard to tell the true heart and genuine balance of a ministry by simply reading over a doctrinal statement. Personal contact is often necessary to sense the true spirit of a church.